Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Volleyball and my change of heart........

It was a 6am wake up call this past Sunday morning to travel to my USAV Tournament from my Dad's house.  It didn't bother me though,  I even stop watching one of my brother's favorite Harry Potter movies with my family the night before and went bed early in order to be well rested and ready to play.  It was a great tournament, we played really well and took 2nd place. However, it wasn't too long ago that I actually thought about giving up on volleyball.

In the past month, I had this idea in my head that I would quit volleyball. The thing is I didn't enjoy it, actually I  dreaded everything about it. I hated practicing and tournaments, but the summer before the season and the five years prior to that I loved it more than anything.  I'm not sure exactly why I didn't like it, but I decided that I wasn't going  play in high school. I was sad to think I'd be missing out on all the activities with my friends, but I just didn't have fun doing it anymore.

After a couple weeks of telling people I wasn't going to continue playing, I realized that I was starting have fun again,  it probably helped that my mom stayed positive and continued to encourage me to stick with it until I was really sure I didn't want to play anymore. Then it happened: I starting enjoying practices and even started looking forward to tournaments. I started to see that without volleyball, I wouldn't be doing much of anything. I realized that I would go through high school not doing a single sport. I'm still not sure what changed my mind exactly, but the more I played the more I liked it again.

The point here is, even when there is a rough patch, a time when you are unsure about things or stop loving the things that made you the happiest, you need to stop and think things through. Always think of your pros and your cons, don't just quit or give up, work through that rough patch, try to see the positive in things and maybe even wait a while before making a final decision.  Talk it through with someone you can trust, someone that won't judge you for the way you feel, but will listen and give you some things to think about.  If you feel like you don't have that person in your life, you have me, I will listen and I won't judge.


1 comment:

  1. Neat experience to go through. Thanks for sharing your "lessons learned".

    ReplyDelete